Monday, May 25, 2009

A Child's Garden of Verses


A Child's Garden of Verses, Robert Louis Stevenson & Virginia Tiffany

I found this book a long while ago, browsing a bookstore in Eugene, Oregon with my friend Tilke. I instantly loved the crooked exuberance of the "stitchery", as the illustrations by Virginia Tiffany are termed. I think the book was published in the 1970s, but I'm traveling right now on the West Coast and can't check 'til I'm home again.


I took these photos in my garden back in mid-May. It had rained that morning and the ground was still a little damp and dewy.


The book is too big for the scanner. It's bigger than my lap, even. Do you see the joints on the pink and orange elephant? They're so cute they made me squeal.


I would like the blonde boy's tunic & hood. Maybe I'll sew my own version sometime.


The chives had just opened their flowers that week, a pungent rush of little purple fireworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment